Saturday, June 4, 2011

Shalom Lekulam!


I hope you all had a pleasant and successful week. My week was packed full of events with my new little nephew’s Brit Mila (circumcision) on Tuesday and International Child Day on Wednesday.  Also on Tuesday was my younger son’s third birthday celebration. For many sections of the Jewish community the third birthday is a special one. At three years of age boys have their very first hair-cut and begin to wear a kippa. It was very exciting time for my wife Lea and me. They grow up so quickly….
Talking of happy occasions, the renovations for Ulpan Aviv’s new branch in Tel Aviv are almost complete. There are only a few little things left to do and today, Yigael, one of the co-directors and I, went to do all the shopping necessary for the new location. It was great to be out of the Jerusalem office and on site at the Tel Aviv centre, although my back may need a day or two to recover from carrying desks, chairs, pictures, cupboards, plants and stationary!
 On Wednesday it was YOM YERUSHALAYIM. Yom Yerushalayim is the day on which we celebrate the unification of the city if Jerusalem which took place in 1967. At this time Jerusalem was liberated from Jordanian rule and after almost 2000 years, returned to the Jewish nation. There was a march through Jerusalem involving thousands of people who came to give support to the city whose future is all so often at stake. It was a very moving sight.
Tonight (Thursday) is Erev Rosh Chodesh Sivan (Hebrew calendar) which means that next week on Wednesday it will be Chag Shavuot, the day we received the Torah on Mt. Sinai.
I wish you all Shabbat Shalom veChag Sameach!
Hope to see you soon,
Gil Pentzak
Ulpan Aviv- director

No comments:

Post a Comment